Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I'm Teaching!

I realized that I haven't been talking about my job at all. I'm teaching at an international school, which means that it caters mostly to children who are from out of town. The school is way expensive, but when employees get sent overseas to work, they usually get an extensive benefits package, which includes education for their children at these private schools. There are some Bangladeshis, but their parents are probably loaded up the wazoo.

My job is going really well. The school hasn't had intern teachers before, so intially they were puzzled about what Sara, Beckley and I were supposed to do. In less than a week, teachers had figured out how helpful we could be, and were scrambling to get us in their classrooms. Right now I'm working with the High School Biology teacher, and I sometimes teach lessons in her IB Biology classes. I also run a half-hour seminar on modern Indian history in an IB History class. Basically, since we're not lazy, we're allowed to do whatever kind of work we want. Not a bad deal.

(photo credit: Asavari)

As you can see from the picture above, I'm the kind of teacher you probably thought I'd be. I puzzled for a couple of days how I could look more like a teacher, since I had gotten carded within the last 6 months at a rated R movie (i.e. there were doubts that I was 17 and capable of seeing Harold and Kumar without parental guidance). Moreover, I needed to look like a science teacher. Take note of my solution: tucked-in-plaid-shirts. Problem solved.

2 comments:

M. Kirstin S. said...

I see you are attempting to demonstrate a visual analogy to your teaching: plugging in the lamp of knowledge!

I remember that shirt from your living room floor! It's nice to see it and YOU in action.

I miss you a thousand times a day. So much that it hurrrrrrrrrrts.

marieinhonduras said...

I see that double helix!